Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Eclatante

On Thursday night we wandered over to the Lyceum for a concert by Eclatante, a flute and harp duo. The group features flutist Sharon Woster Pabon and harpist Melissa Tardiff Dvorak. This is the first time I've heard my teacher play a concert, so I was excited to attend. Also, it's fun to watch the harpist's feet while she plays - they remind me of the undertow beneath graceful ocean waves.

I enjoyed hearing the Bach piece live, but I think I most enjoyed the Rossini piece, which was variations on a familiar melody, though I can't recall the name of the melody. In between the pieces, we learned a little something about each one. I was interested to learn that the accompaniment part in the Bach Sonata in C Major may have been written by Bach's son, C. P. E. Bach. To support the theory that the piece may have been originally written for solo flute, this is the only one of Bach's sonatas where the flute plays continuously throughout the piece. Also, we learned that Piazzolla's Histoire du Tango chronicles the development of the tango.

Concert Program

  • Deux Preludes Romantiques: Tres lent, Allegro moderato by Marcel Tournier
  • Sonata in C Major: Andante and Presto, Allegro, Adagio, Minuet I and II by J. S. Bach
  • Andante con Variazioni for Flute and Harp by Gioachino Rossini
  • Serenade No. 10 for Flute and Harp: Larghetto, Allegro comodo, Andante grazioso, Andante cantabile, Allegretto, Scherzando, Adagietto, Vivo by Vincent Persichetti
  • Cafe 1930 from Histoire du tango by Astor Piazzolla
  • Sonata in A Major for Flute and Harp: Allegro, Andantino grazioso, Minuet I and II by Friedrich Wilhelm Rust
  • Le Carnaval de Venise Variations, Op. 14 by Paul A. Genin (1832 - 1903); Trans by Barbara Todd and Nathalie Teevin-Lebens

No comments:

Post a Comment