2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 Tbsp lemon zest
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 C whole almonds
1/3 C crystallized ginger, chopped
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
granulated sugar to sprinkle on top, if desired
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt. Stir in almonds and ginger.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Scoop the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until smooth. Evenly divide the dough into two pieces and roll each into logs about 1" high by 3" wide. Transfer logs to a parchment-lined baking sheet, and slightly flatten the logs with your palm. If desired, sprinkle granulated sugar lightly on the top of each log.
- Bake until the logs are golden and the tops are firm when lightly pressed, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. After 15 minutes, lightly spritz the logs with water, then let sit for another 5 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the logs into roughly 1/2" thick diagonal slices. Place slices upright on the baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from teh oven and transfer slices to a wire rack to cool completely.
I discussed this recipe here.