Thursday, November 13, 2008

Biscotti Trial

Cookie madness season officially began this Tuesday when I had Veteran's Day off from work. I tried out this Almond Ginger Biscotti recipe, and it was delicious. This was a trial for the coming Christmas baking season, and I learned a couple things for the next time around.

The dough was much stickier than I was expecting. As I was forming the logs and putting them on the baking sheet, I was worried I had messed up the ingredients and put in too much liquid. When I checked the recipe, I had only put in the 3 eggs and vanilla, so no error there. In the end, there was no reason to worry since the biscotti were great. But now I know to spend a bit more time making longer, narrower logs before sticking them in the oven. This will help the center of the loaves cook a bit more and get as golden as the edges. The slightly firmer loaf will then be easier to cut into without tearing out the almonds as much as I experienced in this trial run.

One helpful tip I read was to stand the biscotti up on the cookie sheet for the second round of baking. This allows both sides to crisp up at the same time, instead of requiring a flip halfway.

Overall, the trial was a success, only requiring a little tweaking for the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment