(adapted from Cooking Light)
1 lb Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 C skim milk
1 lb ziti, cooked and hot
3/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Cook sausage until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, and set aside. Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add flour, and stir with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Cook until thick (about 8 minutes), then remove from heat.
- Combine sauce, sausage, pasta, Parmesan, and salt in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: 6 servings
I discussed this recipe here.