(adapted from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion by way of Culinary in the Desert)
1 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 C granulated sugar, divided
1/4 C milk
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/4 C water
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 1/2 C fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and 1 C granulated sugar.
- Beat in milk and butter.
- Add dry ingredients, and stir just until combined.
- Scoop mixture into a 9" x 9" baking pan (or other 2-quart baking dish) coated with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, add remaining 1/2 C sugar, water, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extracts. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in strawberries to coat. Immediately pour hot mixture over the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Yield: 9 servings
I discussed this recipe here.