Another dinner from last week was a Broccoli and Beef slow cooker meal over rice. I had to drastically alter the final cook time and temperature because of what was going on during the day. After adding the broccoli, I cooked on low for longer. This made the broccoli too soft for our taste. Also, we weren't thrilled with the flavors. I reduced the vinegar from the original and had to remove the sesame oil because of allergies, but it still didn't come out well. Next time I'll try different seasonings for the beef and get closer to the suggested cooking time and temp to help the texture.
Broccoli and Beef from "A Year of Slow Cooking"
1/4 C soy sauce
2 TBSP white wine
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb thin beef, sliced thinly
1 bag thawed broccoli florets, about 1 lb (to add later)
- Add soy sauce, wine, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and red pepper to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Add the beef and mix to coat.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on the cut of meat. Thicker pieces will take longer to tenderize.
- An hour before serving, add the bag of broccoli, cover and cook on high for another hour or so.
- Stir gently to coat broccoli, and serve over rice.
Yield: 4 servings