Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baby Shower Gift

One of the gifts that made me repeatedly smile while I was a new mom was a set of burp clothes with fun fabric on them. Considering all the messes that bombard you at the beginning of parenthood, it's nice to be able to clean it up with a rag that's a little more fun than normal. I'm headed to a friend's baby shower this Saturday, so I decided to make a set of burp clothes for her. Hopefully these will give my friend as much joy as when I used my set.

Part two of the shower gift is a little newborn hat. I got the pattern from this blog post. I appliquéd a decoration on afterward based on what I hear is the theme of my friend's nursery. Both crafts were quick and easy, and I was able to complete them in two evenings.

BURP CLOTH INSTRUCTIONS
Materials: Cotton cloth diaper, fabric, pins, thread, and sewing machine

  1. Prewash fabric and cloth diaper.
  2. Measure fabric to fit on the center portion of the cloth diaper (about a third the size of the diaper) and add about a half inch for seam allowances. Check the measurements again, then cut the fabric.
  3. Fold the edge of the fabric under as you pin it to the center of the burp cloth. The top of the cloth diaper will be covered, and you'll be looking at the right side of the fabric.
  4. Sew along the edge of the fabric, backstitching at the beginning and end. That's it!

1 comment: