Over the weekend we needed some entertainment, so I made muffins with the little boy. In addition to being allergy safe, it was fun to make these muffins egg free since it allowed him to taste as much as he wanted along the way. We had fun, and I think we'll be doing this a lot more together now that he loves to "dump" ingredients in the bowl, as he likes to say.
Joyce's Blueberry Muffins from "Bakin' Without Eggs"
2 C plus 2 TBSP unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 C granulated sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 C light cream or milk
1/2 C applesauce
1 C drained fresh or frozen blueberries
3 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP margarine or butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease twelve muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 C flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon peel and juice, milk, and applesauce; with a wooden spoon, mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, toss blueberries with remaining 2 TBSP flour just to coat (this prevents them from sinking), then fold them into batter gently. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling half full. Set aside.
- To Prepare Topping: In a separate small bowl, with a fork, stir sugar, margarine or butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg until crumbly. Spoon evenly on each muffin before baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 servings